This is a great quick recipe, perfect for a treat for the kids (or in my case husband!) There’s no pretending its healthy, so try and go easy on them (its hard, they’re yummy) or load them up with nuts and dried fruit to make yourself feel a little better. The great thing about rocky road is that anything goes, ingredient wise. It’s good to stick to the basic staples of some biscuit and marshmallow, but after that the world’s your oyster. You can try anything from mixing in broken up pieces of your fave chocolate bar, to all sorts of nuts and dried fruit! Or be a bit daring and try something completely different like some jelly tots or jelly beans! The prep time is minimal, then its just a few hours in the fridge and you’re ready to go!
Makes 10 bars
- 400g milk chocolate
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 digestive biscuits – broken into small bits
- 1 large handful mini marsmallows
For the extras I used
- 1 handful white choc chips
- 1 handful of halved macadamia nuts
- small sprinkling of popping candy
- small handful chopped dates
- a few extra choc chips and mini marshmallows to sprinkle over the top
- Melt the chocolate and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth
Remove from the heat and stir well until all smooth and silky. Leave to cool a little for about 15 mins
While cooling line a 23cm square shallow cake tin with baking parchment
First add the biscuit and marshmallows and stir until all coated.
Then add the other ingredients chosen. Stick to 3 ‘handfuls’ maximum of whatever is chosen otherwise there wont be enough mix to cover them all.
Spoon mixture into tin and scatter the surface with your extra marshmallow and choc chips.
Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, until set (ideally overnight is good)
When set Cut into bars with a knife dipped in hot water.
Happy Eating 🙂